Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Running ohNet on older levels of Linux ARM
06-09-2012, 09:54 AM
RE: Running ohNet on older levels of Linux ARM
(06-09-2012 09:19 AM)simoncn Wrote:  I'm trying to put my build settings into environment variables so I don't need to remember to type them as part of the make command. Most are OK, but the shell doesn't recognise gcc4-1 as a valid name because of the hyphen. Would it be possible to either remove the hyphen character or change it to something else such as underscore?

I've changed it to gcc4_1
Find all posts by this user
07-09-2012, 08:54 AM
(06-09-2012 09:54 AM)simonc Wrote:  I've changed it to gcc4_1

Thanks very much!

I've recently added another cross-compile build which requires an additional compiler flag. I couldn't find a way to specify this using an environment variable, so I changed line 79 of Makefile to

version_specific_cflags = ${CROSS_COMPILE_CFLAGS}

and line 83 to:

version_specific_cflags = -Wno-psabi ${CROSS_COMPILE_CFLAGS}

This matches the approach used to specify other settings needed for cross-compilation.
07-09-2012, 09:27 AM
(07-09-2012 08:54 AM)simoncn Wrote:  I've recently added another cross-compile build which requires an additional compiler flag. I couldn't find a way to specify this using an environment variable, so I changed line 79 of Makefile to

version_specific_cflags = ${CROSS_COMPILE_CFLAGS}

and line 83 to:

version_specific_cflags = -Wno-psabi ${CROSS_COMPILE_CFLAGS}

This matches the approach used to specify other settings needed for cross-compilation.

I've added these now.
11-11-2013, 02:58 PM
(16-03-2012 11:44 AM)simonc Wrote:  Regarding new C++ features: ohNet is a relatively mature library so its unlikely we'll find a compelling case to adopt any. The fact that (your) client code would be inconvenienced would count against take up of new features too.

I can't guarantee that we'll never use any new features but its really pretty unlikely.

Contrary to what I said earlier, we have now found a compelling reason to enable C++11 support in ohNet. This affects posix builds only and requires gcc v4.3 or later.

Published builds now all assume C++11 support. Any clients who're stuck on an earlier version of gcc can create their own builds. The only change from previous build commands is that you now need to add nocpp11=yes

In case anyone is interested in the reasons for this change, gcc changes the size of some standard library containers between C++03 and C++11. Anyone consuming the static library ohNet releases therefore requires the same level of C++ support in ohNet and all downstream components. We have some internal projects that depend on ohNet and benefit greatly from C++11. The easiest way to make this available is to have ohNet follow the language standards and update to C++11 as standard.
11-11-2013, 04:04 PM
(11-11-2013 02:58 PM)simonc Wrote:  Published builds now all assume C++11 support. Any clients who're stuck on an earlier version of gcc can create their own builds. The only change from previous build commands is that you now need to add nocpp11=yes

Thanks for providing this build option. I will add it to all my Posix builds.