Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
DLNA Controller in Java
11-07-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java
(11-07-2012 07:08 PM)adaptiveal Wrote:  Thanks for the response. So, I think we're getting close to the crux of my question. My situation is that actually I have been given the assignment of building a media controller only. So, in terms of say a music player it would be that minus the renderer. The plan is that there will be a different device running the DLNA media server (serving the music assets) and yet another different device serving as the DLNA media/music renderer. I'm just the controller.

I don't have to get DLNA certification, that's not important. But I do have to build something that will actually work with a DLNA certified server and renderer.

Right now the first thing I need to do is to get an idea of the scope of the project - that is, does ohNet pretty much handle all the controller functionality? Or will I need to build a substantial amount of DLNA specific code on top of ohNet to get this to work? Will I need access to the DLNA specification (the company can in fact provide them to me)? Or is it a more straightforward process? I'm not sure what the difference between a plain UPnP media server/renderer/controller (if any) and DLNA versions are.

Mark

I've implemented a UPnP media server in Java, and I haven't needed to do anything special for DLNA compatibility. I'm still waiting for the first user bug report that I can put down to the lack of DLNA compatibility. Smile My experience is that if you implement the UPnP AV specifications correctly, you'll be able to interoperate with other DLNA implementations.

ohNet handles all the communication aspects between your control point and the server and renderer. It doesn't include any code to help you build the internal logic of your control point.
Find all posts by this user

Messages In This Thread
DLNA Controller in Java - adaptiveal - 10-07-2012, 07:49 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - simonc - 11-07-2012, 11:13 AM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - adaptiveal - 11-07-2012, 02:33 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - simonc - 11-07-2012, 02:57 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - adaptiveal - 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - simoncn - 11-07-2012 07:49 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - adaptiveal - 11-07-2012, 08:57 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - simonc - 11-07-2012, 09:07 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - rajareddy - 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
RE: DLNA Controller in Java - simonc - 03-09-2013, 01:23 PM