Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Is anything still under development?
27-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Is anything still under development?
Hi all,

I want to get involved and help Openhome software side of things.... is anything still being developed? Who are the major players?

Most threads seem to be a little old now....
Find all posts by this user
28-03-2013, 09:52 AM
RE: Is anything still under development?
(27-03-2013 01:00 PM)mattlindsay Wrote:  Hi all,

I want to get involved and help Openhome software side of things.... is anything still being developed? Who are the major players?

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forums.

Software is still being actively developed. You'll see fairly consistent activity in the ohNet forum and we're also working on a number of audio projects that'll start to be announced soon.

If you want to get involved and are comfortable with linux development, the project with the best cost/benefit ratio would be to write a songcast sender that integrates to Pulse Audio. There's a small amount of discussion about this in a previous thread - http://forums.openhome.org/showthread.php?tid=1062.

If this doesn't sound too interesting for you, can you let us know more about your interests and experience (particularly programming languages and platforms)?
28-03-2013, 11:02 AM
(28-03-2013 09:52 AM)simonc Wrote:  
(27-03-2013 01:00 PM)mattlindsay Wrote:  Hi all,

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forums.

Software is still being actively developed. You'll see fairly consistent activity in the ohNet forum and we're also working on a number of audio projects that'll start to be announced soon.

If you want to get involved and are comfortable with linux development, the project with the best cost/benefit ratio would be to write a songcast sender that integrates to Pulse Audio. There's a small amount of discussion about this in a previous thread - http://forums.openhome.org/showthread.php?tid=1062.

If this doesn't sound too interesting for you, can you let us know more about your interests and experience (particularly programming languages and platforms)?

Thanks SimonC, response much appreciated.

Most of my experience is Windows, bit of Java, want to learn C#, Heaps of VB (of course) and a dable of C++.

My main interest is getting synchronized playback from an OH/UPnP server (windows based) to multiple Raspberry Pi Renderers, using an Android based remote. Not much to ask hey?

Most of the components are already in place really, but perhaps you can advise of what is not yet sorted and where i can best place my efforts? I've been talking with ManchesterPete and we're ahppy to work together where needed.

Cheers

Matt
02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
(28-03-2013 11:02 AM)mattlindsay Wrote:  My main interest is getting synchronized playback from an OH/UPnP server (windows based) to multiple Raspberry Pi Renderers, using an Android based remote. Not much to ask hey?

Most of the components are already in place really, but perhaps you can advise of what is not yet sorted and where i can best place my efforts? I've been talking with ManchesterPete and we're happy to work together where needed.

The missing piece from your desired system is synchronised playback.

The OpenHome solution to this is Songcast. You need two parts in a songcasting system - a sender and receiver(s). Both the specification and source code are freely available to help with this.

Writing the sender should be relatively straightforward. You need the underlying media player (e.g. VLC if you're using a modified ohMediaPlayer) to provide you with decoded audio data at a fixed delay before it is played locally. The WavSender program in ohSongcast provides an example of passing decoded audio data to a songcast sender.

Writing a receiver is slightly more involved. The ohSongcast code provides the beginnings of a sample receiver. This is incomplete so some amount of debugging/development will be required. The receiver should output PCM data which should have a fixed delay applied then be fed into your underlying media player. Note that songcast receiver code currently assumes the presence of a pullable clock (a clock that will adapt its rate to match the speed at which audio is delivered). Assuming the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a pullable clock, audio will drop out occasionally (at a rate determined by the difference in sender and receiver clocks). While this may be acceptable as a first pass, its likely you'd want to investigate adjusting receiver data to precisely match the sender clock.

We may update ohSongcast later in the year to add a complete receiver and support for platforms without a pullable clock. We'd also be very happy to pick up code sooner if you fancy a go at this Smile.

Most of the ohSongcast code is C++. There are some bindings for C# so Java bindings would also be possible. I imagine that interfacing to VLC will also be C++ though so you might as well do all work in C++.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Does it sound like something you'd be interested in taking on?
02-04-2013, 10:47 AM
(02-04-2013 10:14 AM)simonc Wrote:  
(28-03-2013 11:02 AM)mattlindsay Wrote:  My main interest is getting synchronized playback from an OH/UPnP server (windows based) to multiple Raspberry Pi Renderers, using an Android based remote. Not much to ask hey?

Most of the components are already in place really, but perhaps you can advise of what is not yet sorted and where i can best place my efforts? I've been talking with ManchesterPete and we're happy to work together where needed.

The OpenHome solution to this is Songcast. You need two parts in a songcasting system - a sender and receiver(s). Both the specification and source code are freely available to help with this.

Writing the sender should be relatively straightforward. You need the underlying media player (e.g. VLC if you're using a modified ohMediaPlayer) to provide you with decoded audio data at a fixed delay before it is played locally. The WavSender program in ohSongcast provides an example of passing decoded audio data to a songcast sender.

Writing a receiver is slightly more involved. The ohSongcast code provides the beginnings of a sample receiver. This is incomplete so some amount of debugging/development will be required. The receiver should output PCM data which should have a fixed delay applied then be fed into your underlying media player. Note that songcast receiver code currently assumes the presence of a pullable clock (a clock that will adapt its rate to match the speed at which audio is delivered). Assuming the Raspberry Pi doesn't have a pullable clock, audio will drop out occasionally (at a rate determined by the difference in sender and receiver clocks). While this may be acceptable as a first pass, its likely you'd want to investigate adjusting receiver data to precisely match the sender clock.

We may update ohSongcast later in the year to add a complete receiver and support for platforms without a pullable clock. We'd also be very happy to pick up code sooner if you fancy a go at this Smile.

Most of the ohSongcast code is C++. There are some bindings for C# so Java bindings would also be possible. I imagine that interfacing to VLC will also be C++ though so you might as well do all work in C++.

Hopefully this all makes sense. Does it sound like something you'd be interested in taking on?

Sounds like a cracking little project. Two questions though...
1) Are we talking about the same thing here... both Audio and Video? (or at least the capability for both)

2) This is most likley to initialy be beyond my junior coding skills... but I'm a quick learner. Is there anyone who could support/act as a mentor if i pick this up?

Thanks for the full and detailed reply.

Matt
02-04-2013, 12:15 PM
(02-04-2013 10:47 AM)mattlindsay Wrote:  Sounds like a cracking little project. Two questions though...
1) Are we talking about the same thing here... both Audio and Video? (or at least the capability for both)

Ah, no, I hadn't realised you wanted to synchronise video. Songcast covers audio only.

(02-04-2013 10:47 AM)mattlindsay Wrote:  2) This is most likley to initialy be beyond my junior coding skills... but I'm a quick learner. Is there anyone who could support/act as a mentor if i pick this up?

If an audio-only project is still of interest to you, I can provide some level of help. I can certainly answer songcast-related questions at a minimum. I might end up pointing you towards other sources of information for some other questions.
02-04-2013, 12:37 PM
Yeah, why not! At least it will teach me enough to then maybe extend something later.

I've been in contact with PeteManchester, who has shared some code i'll look into.

Right, I think this has completed this thread for the moment, I'll open a more useful one in Media, and maybe use that as my 'getting started' thread... starting with some idiot questions.... that hopefully others that come along in the future will find useful and can get themselves up to speed quickly.

Cheers

Matt
05-06-2015, 04:44 PM
(02-04-2013 10:14 AM)simonc Wrote:  

Hi simonc:
When I run Wavsender in my computer and run sc2mpd in my other two computer.Sometime I can hear sound break(audio packet lost), How can I fix this problem