Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspberry Pi Control Point
04-05-2013, 12:39 PM
Raspberry Pi Control Point
I currently have a system set up with a raspberry pi renderer in my kitchen with an android control point. While this is working perfectly, sometimes it can be annoying, particularly when cooking, to get my phone out to pause, skip etc.

I was thinking I could use the GPIO pins on the pi to wire up some buttons and then some software to make them into play/pause, skip, volume etc.

I've clone ohNet from GitHub and have been trying to get it working but the documentation doesn't seem to match the code I have, method signatures are different etc. am I looking in the right place? Am I even on the right track, does this sound like something that would be possible?

I'm not trying to make a full control point, I can set a playlist etc.

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 08:03 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi Control Point
Hi Android,

Some of the documentation has not kept up to date with changes to the ohNet API. I guess you're looking at the documentation linked from here? http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhNet

I believe the overview PDF docs are quite old, so tread carefully there. The general principles they describe will be the same, but some of the example code will no longer work as-is. The doxygen API docs should be up to date, but might not always give you the best idea of how everything works together. If you have any questions, feel free to ask here.

It should certainly be possible to write a simple control point to run on the Raspberry Pi using ohNet, although I'm not sure whether anyone has tried it recently. Which Linux distro are you using?

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're describing. Do you have two Raspberry Pis and you want to use one as a control point and the other as a renderer? Or are you using one for both functions? Either way, I think it should work.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Andrew.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-05-2013, 10:16 AM
RE: Raspberry Pi Control Point
Yes, that is the documentation I was looking at. I was really only skimming the text and going through the code, which doesn't work. I will go through it again and read it properly. Maybe between that and doxygen I can piece something together.

I'm using Rasbian on the raspberry pi, my first plan is to just try and get the renderer and the control point working on the same one. Once that is done I had some more long term plans for having several Pis around the house as renderers and/or control points. For starters though, just having it working on the one would be good enough. My C++ is a little rusty, I've only been working in C# the past few years but that isn't really an option on the Pi. I have tried mono and while it works, it is incredibly slow.

Thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions.
Find all posts by this user