Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
onNet stability
12-09-2013, 07:05 AM
onNet stability
Hello,

And thank you for this great project!

We are company developing several commercial products for Android and Windows, that need UPnP stack. We care much about our products quality.

What is about ohNet stability for Android and .Net port?
Is it possible to use it in commercial products?

Best regards,
Andrey Moskvichev V., BitGriff LLC, CTO.
Find all posts by this user
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: onNet stability
Hello Andrey,

I'm afraid simonc is away for a couple of weeks, and as the main developer on ohNet he will be better able to answer these questions. I'll do my best to answer them, but he might be able to give you more certain answers, or correct me where I'm wrong.

We use both the control point and device stacks of ohNet in a number of pieces of actively developed commercial software. It's most exhaustively tested on Windows and OS X and is very stable on those platforms. We use it a lot on iOS, slightly less on Linux and perhaps least of all on Android, so it's more likely that there are undiscovered bugs specific to those platforms.

We use the native and C# APIs extensively. I think the Java API gets a bit less use, although simonc will know better.

The license certainly allows the use of ohNet in commercial products. We do our best to fix all reported bugs, but we can't give you guaranteed response times or a guarantee that ohNet will meet all your requirements.

I hope this information is helpful. I'll ask simonc to give you a more full response when he gets back.

Best regards,

Andrew Wilson.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-09-2013, 05:02 PM
Hello, Andrew.

Thanks for your answer.

For now, we are using Cling UPnP stack for Android (mobile part), and looking for stable UPnP stack for .Net (desktop part). And it's great, that your project works good for .Net.

Our requirements are:
Stable and bugfree device discovery and content directory service.

Best regards,
Andrey Moskvichev V., BitGriff LLC, CTO.
24-09-2013, 10:16 AM
In addition to andreww's comments, Java coverage comes mainly from the MinimServer project which runs on Windows/Mac/Linux and is very robust.