Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
iOS 64 bit support
12-01-2015, 04:50 PM
iOS 64 bit support
Hi Simon et al

With Apple's requirement that all new apps submitted from the first of february support 64 bit, what is the status of using OHNet in 64 bit IOS Applications? (I'm specifically using it with the .Net wrapper in Xamarin)

Thanks
Garry
Find all posts by this user
12-01-2015, 05:10 PM
RE: iOS 64 bit support
ohNet builds as 64-bit for Windows. If any changes are required, I think it should just be to the commands passed to smcs to build using MonoTouch.

I don't have a copy of MonoTouch to hand to check. Do you know whether smcs has an equivalent of csc's /platform: option on Windows? The Windows build defaults to anycpu; if smcs does likewise, things might just work for 64-bit iOS...
13-01-2015, 04:19 PM
I understand a bit better what's required now.

We'll require a new build target for 64-bit ARM for iOS plus a new (simple) script to combine 32 and 64 bit static libraries into a single fat binary. Build scripts and C# bindings will also require small changes to use Xamarin.iOS.dll rather than MonoTouch.dll.

We don't have a schedule for this work yet. My understanding is that existing apps can submit updates until June before updating; the February deadline is only for new apps.

Do you have new apps you plan to submit soonish? If you do, what is the earliest point you'd rely on ohNet being updated?
13-01-2015, 10:43 PM
(13-01-2015 04:19 PM)simonc Wrote:  I understand a bit better what's required now.

We'll require a new build target for 64-bit ARM for iOS plus a new (simple) script to combine 32 and 64 bit static libraries into a single fat binary. Build scripts and C# bindings will also require small changes to use Xamarin.iOS.dll rather than MonoTouch.dll.

Thanks Simon - that is what I had worked out too.
I'm already using Lipo to build a Universal Fat library to allow for debugging
lipo -create -output libMyLibrary.a libMyLibrary-i386.a libMyLibrary-armv6.a libMyLibrary-armv7.a

(13-01-2015 04:19 PM)simonc Wrote:  We don't have a schedule for this work yet. My understanding is that existing apps can submit updates until June before updating; the February deadline is only for new apps.

You are correct. There was some confusion on this as one of Apple's emails mentioned Updated apps requiring to be 64Bit by February 1st but this has now been clarified and June is the deadline for updates.

(13-01-2015 04:19 PM)simonc Wrote:  Do you have new apps you plan to submit soonish? If you do, what is the earliest point you'd rely on ohNet being updated?
My app is a new submission unfortunately. I'm hoping to get client go-ahead to submit before the 1st February but that might be pushing it. I would think it is more likely to be 2nd week February.

I'm not trying to push things on this though. If you are unlikely to be ready then it might be good reason to publish before the first of February with what we have and then do an update.

Many thanks
Garry
14-01-2015, 11:29 AM
(13-01-2015 10:43 PM)Garry Wrote:  My app is a new submission unfortunately. I'm hoping to get client go-ahead to submit before the 1st February but that might be pushing it. I would think it is more likely to be 2nd week February.

I'm not trying to push things on this though. If you are unlikely to be ready then it might be good reason to publish before the first of February with what we have and then do an update.

We are unlikely to have the changes in place for 1st Feb. It'd be great if you were able to work around this by having an initial app released before then. If you can't do this, we could share diffs to help you create your own ohNet build.

Let us know what you decide.
28-04-2015, 10:48 AM
(14-01-2015 11:29 AM)simonc Wrote:  
(13-01-2015 10:43 PM)Garry Wrote:  My app is a new submission unfortunately. I'm hoping to get client go-ahead to submit before the 1st February but that might be pushing it. I would think it is more likely to be 2nd week February.

We are unlikely to have the changes in place for 1st Feb. It'd be great if you were able to work around this by having an initial app released before then. If you can't do this, we could share diffs to help you create your own ohNet build.

The latest ohNet code includes a new option for Mac builds - iOs-arm64=1 - that'll build for 64-bit ARMv8. Combining this with 32-bit ARMv7 binaries is left to the user of ohNet.
05-06-2015, 07:09 AM
(28-04-2015 10:48 AM)simonc Wrote:  
(14-01-2015 11:29 AM)simonc Wrote:  

The latest ohNet code includes a new option for Mac builds - iOs-arm64=1 - that'll build for 64-bit ARMv8. Combining this with 32-bit ARMv7 binaries is left to the user of ohNet.

Hi Simon - I thought I had already posted this but thank you ever so much for this.