Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Raspbian Headless
15-01-2016, 03:00 PM
Raspbian Headless
It would be great if you could provide a headless version for Raspbian, preferably for Jessie. I am currently not abel to test openhome-player because I don't have access to a Raspberry Pi with a display and keyboard.

The OSX version works well. Eagerly waiting for Radio!

Great job!
Find all posts by this user
15-01-2016, 03:47 PM
RE: Raspbian Headless
Thanks guussie - we have headless on the list (quite soon!).
There's a development version in test just now, but we need to sort out the update mechanism and a couple of other things first (like subnet selection). Update is currently done through user notifications and requires manual confirmation to download, so we need to provide an equivalent headless approach.

Regarding radio, the reason for it not being there right now is purely because it needs AAC/ADTS codecs and we're in the process of integrating with native platform codecs to support this.

The OpenHome codebase includes codecs including AAC for OEMs/integrators to use, but for licencing reasons we can't release them in the sample apps we distribute at present.

We'll keep you posted on updates in the 'News' group on the forum
15-01-2016, 06:08 PM
Hi all
Does Raspbian Headless mean not having to have a display attached?
And presumably not having a display connected gives this error in Putty?

pi@OPENhome-Pi ~ $ openhome-player
Unable to init server

(openhome-player:2411): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Luckily I do have a display and as long as I start openhome player in the GUI it works great, better i think than the windows version.

I look forward to the Raspian headless version , if I have my terminology right :-)

Mike
16-01-2016, 01:16 AM
(15-01-2016 06:08 PM)mikegriff Wrote:  Hi all
Does Raspbian Headless mean not having to have a display attached?
And presumably not having a display connected gives this error in Putty?

pi@OPENhome-Pi ~ $ openhome-player
Unable to init server

(openhome-player:2411): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

Luckily I do have a display and as long as I start openhome player in the GUI it works great, better i think than the windows version.

I look forward to the Raspian headless version , if I have my terminology right :-)

Mike

Yes, that's right; if you're trying to run the player from a putty session (or any ssh session) then the player will not start since it is a GUI application and requires a display.

The headless version is a variant of the application which does not require any graphical user interaction, so you will be able to run it from the commandline.
16-01-2016, 11:08 AM
(15-01-2016 03:47 PM)pedro Wrote:  Thanks guussie - we have headless on the list (quite soon!).
There's a development version in test just now, but we need to sort out the update mechanism and a couple of other things first (like subnet selection). Update is currently done through user notifications and requires manual confirmation to download, so we need to provide an equivalent headless approach.

Regarding radio, the reason for it not being there right now is purely because it needs AAC/ADTS codecs and we're in the process of integrating with native platform codecs to support this.

The OpenHome codebase includes codecs including AAC for OEMs/integrators to use, but for licencing reasons we can't release them in the sample apps we distribute at present.

We'll keep you posted on updates in the 'News' group on the forum
Hi Pedro,

The management and update mechanism used by MinimServer seems to work well. Alternatively through Konfig of course.

Looking forward to the Headless solution. I'd be happy to test!

Guus
17-01-2016, 01:05 PM
(15-01-2016 03:00 PM)guussie Wrote:  It would be great if you could provide a headless version for Raspbian, preferably for Jessie. I am currently not abel to test openhome-player because I don't have access to a Raspberry Pi with a display and keyboard.

Great job!

Hi Guus,

My vote would also be for a headless version.

But in the mean time if you don't have a display to connect to your rapsi you could try to start the ohPlayer in a remote desktop session:

http://www.raspberrypiblog.com/2012/10/h...-from.html

Taken from:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...62&t=18832

Although you may need to tweak it a bit because from what I remember you are Mac rather than PC.

Cheers,

Pete.
17-01-2016, 02:08 PM
Thank you Pete!
10/10 tip there for "remote Desktop"
It works a treat on a PC, I have no Mac to test on.
Mike
17-01-2016, 09:50 PM
(17-01-2016 01:05 PM)PeteManchester Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 03:00 PM)guussie Wrote:  It would be great if you could provide a headless version for Raspbian, preferably for Jessie. I am currently not abel to test openhome-player because I don't have access to a Raspberry Pi with a display and keyboard.

Great job!

Hi Guus,

My vote would also be for a headless version.

But in the mean time if you don't have a display to connect to your rapsi you could try to start the ohPlayer in a remote desktop session:

http://www.raspberrypiblog.com/2012/10/h...-from.html

Taken from:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt...62&t=18832

Although you may need to tweak it a bit because from what I remember you are Mac rather than PC.
Hello Pete,

Yes, that's an option. I tried it with the ODroid C1+ and Ubuntu but it didn't work. I think openhome-player needs 64bit Ubuntu.

I know how to use VNC, so will try that tomorrow evening.

Today I managed to get open home-player working on a Raspberry Pi B with the Pi connected to my TV.

I didn't do a long listening test but I think I heard some distortion or strange artefacts. The player was playing through HDMI to the TV and from there through optical to my Majik DSi. Not an optimal path. Next thing to try is an I2S DAC.

Cheers,

Guus
31-01-2016, 09:29 AM
Hi gals and guys,

Anybody willing to test-drive a headless version is more than welcome. I made my branch here: https://github.com/DoomHammer/ohPlayer/t...ess-player and compilation instructions differ in that you have to append `DISABLE_GTK=y` to your `make` invocation.

Cheers,
Piotr
03-02-2016, 12:00 AM
(31-01-2016 09:29 AM)DoomHammer Wrote:  Hi gals and guys,

Anybody willing to test-drive a headless version is more than welcome. I made my branch here: https://github.com/DoomHammer/ohPlayer/t...ess-player and compilation instructions differ in that you have to append `DISABLE_GTK=y` to your `make` invocation.

Good. Compilation and install went well but starting it headless on my raspberrypi (raspbian jessie) leads still to the error:

axelk@pa2 ~ $ openhome-player

** (openhome-player:21647): WARNING **: Could not open X display
Unable to init server: Could not connect: Connection refused

(openhome-player:21647): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display:

root@pa2:~/oh/ohPlayer/linux# make raspbian DISABLE_GTK=y
make -f Makefile.raspbian
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/oh/ohPlayer/linux'
[..]
root@pa2:~/oh/ohPlayer/linux# make raspbian-install
make -f Makefile.raspbian install
make[1]: Entering directory '/root/oh/ohPlayer/linux'
install -m 755 -d /usr/bin /usr/share/doc/openhome-player /usr/share/openhome-player /usr/share/openhome-player/res
install -m 755 raspbian/openhome-player /usr/bin
install -m 644 OpenHome-48x48.png /usr/share/openhome-player
install -m 644 copyright /usr/share/doc/openhome-player
cp -R ../dependencies/Linux-armhf/ohMediaPlayer/res /usr/share/openhome-player
make[1]: Leaving directory '/root/oh/ohPlayer/linux'

axel