Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
First impressions: openhome-player on Raspberry Pi
20-01-2016, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 20-01-2016 04:18 PM by guussie.)
First impressions: openhome-player on Raspberry Pi
I have been able to play with and listen to openhome-player for a good day now. Here are my first impressions and feedback:

- I eventually managed to install open home-player on a Raspberry Pi B+ running Raspbian 4.1.13+. There were some problems with dependencies and I had to reiterate the installation process two or three times but eventually the installation finished without errors;
- I am accessing the RPi through Remote Desktop from a Mac and this way I am able to start openhome-player in the GUI. When I close the remote desktop connection, open home-player keeps running, so this is a quasi headless configuration;
- the openhome-player uses about 17% processor time with 16 bit 44 kHz files. With 24 bit 96 kHz files this increases to around 40%, so there seems to be ample headroom even with an RPi B+;
- Radio also works but is restricted to the radio stations provided in the App. There does not seem to be a way to edit this. I have looked for it in the RPi but couldn't find anything. While TuneIn doesn't work yet, it would be nice to have the possibility to edit a radio config file, like in PeteManchester's java implementation of ohMediaPlayer; When selecting a radio station, it takes a few seconds before the stream starts playing;
- Receiver is also working fine. I have not tested synchronisation and the RPi I am using is not (yet) equipped with a real time clock;
- the player is also functioning as a a Songcast Source!
- in Playlist mode I have encountered many problems. Many tracks will not play, especially 24 bit 96 kHz files. In one album, some tracks won't play, some will play. The tracks that won't play are always the same, so in that sense there is no randomness, but it's unclear why they won't play. Most of my tracks are ALAC and have been ripped or transcoded with XLD. There is no obvious difference between the tracks that play and this that won't;
- some tracks will crash the player and I have to restart the player in the GUI;
- my server is an RPi 2 based NAS running MinimServer. MinimServer is up to date. I am not using on-NAS transcoding, so the native files are played on the player;
- although Terminal (in the GUI) shows progress of the player, there doesn't seem to be a log file that could be used for error caching and reporting. This could perhaps be incorporated in a future release;
- my RPi is equipped with an I2S HAT sound board with a PCM5122 DAC chip (AliExpress). The board was installed following the instructions in my Wiki HifiBerry DAC+ installation instructions and works with the player out of the box. It also seems to support hardware volume control;
- the player is now (experimentally) connected to a 2.1 TPA3116D2 based amplifier, running on 12V through DIY speakers 2 wide band speakers and a subwoofer). The sound is surprisingly good. The whole kit will be built into a DIY case in the coming months and I will post photos on my Wiki;

Update 1: I was able to solve the Playlist problems referred to above by setting up MinimStreamer with on the fly conversion to wav.

Update 2: for the initial tests I have been using Kinsky as the control point. I have now found out that, if I use Kazoo as the control point, I can select TuneIn, fill in my details and that will then give me access to all my favourites. And it works!

Guus
Find all posts by this user
20-01-2016, 01:27 PM
RE: First impressions: openhome-player on Raspberry Pi
Hi Guus,

Thanks for the feedback and it's good to see you've got further plans for your RPi ohPlayer.

We're interested in the issues you've been having with tracks failing to play when on the playlist source. I see you found a workaround by getting your media server to perform an on-the-fly conversion to wav in the meantime, but we would like to investigate the issue further. I've sent you a PM about this.
20-01-2016, 06:04 PM
(20-01-2016 08:42 AM)guussie Wrote:  Update 2: for the initial tests I have been using Kinsky as the control point. I have now found out that, if I use Kazoo as the control point, I can select TuneIn, fill in my details and that will then give me access to all my favourites. And it works!

Guus

Hi Guus
I don't think Kinsky is worth playing with in this context.

I'm using Minimserver and all seems OK everything plays Fflac OK right up to 192kHz/24bits
Mike
20-01-2016, 06:18 PM
(20-01-2016 06:04 PM)mikegriff Wrote:  I don't think Kinsky is worth playing with in this context.

Hi Mike,

I have a few java media players in my setup and they don't show up in Kazoo, so I use both. Kazoo definitely has more functionality for DS and the new player.

And in any case, I am stuck with Kinsky on my phone for the time being...

Guus