Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ohPlayer ignores requests from non-connected subnets
21-06-2017, 10:04 PM
ohPlayer ignores requests from non-connected subnets
Hello,

Thanks for this awesome software.
I've been using it for quite some time with much success, but I have recently changed my network configuration and since, Kazoo apps cannot see the OhPlayer rooms anymore.

I have now a pluri-subnet network configuration, in which my ohPlayers reside in subnet 10.x.0.0/24 and my control (Kazoo) clients in 10.x.0.1/24 (separate VLANs). Multicast routing is in place and works fine. Multicast packets towards 239.255.255.250 are received on the ohPlayer machines, but no response. When I set the ohPlayers in the same subnet as the Kazoo clients, it works.

It this expected behavior ? Is this correctible ?

Regards
Find all posts by this user
30-06-2017, 05:57 PM
RE: ohPlayer ignores requests from non-connected subnets
Bump...
06-07-2017, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 06-07-2017 10:04 AM by pedro.)
Hi Shujaa,

The sample ohPlayers have a network configuration option which allows you to specify which subnet you want to use. I suspect if your player and controlpoints are using different subnets then that is likely to be the problem with the current builds.

Could you provide a little extra detail about your setup please? Which platform are the players running on, and what interfaces do your ohPlayers show in the 'subnets' menu (if you are running a gui version), or if you are using the headless linux version, which subnet do you pass to the ohPlayer when you run it?

Thanks,
Pete
10-07-2017, 01:16 PM
Hello,

Thanks for your answer.

I'm having Clients running Kazoo, for a variety of devices, Android, iOS, Windows. My only receiver is a Ubuntu-based OhPlayer with the DAC connected via USB.

From the OhPlayer point of view, there is only one subnet: 10.42.1.0/24, and devices on this subnet work (L2-connected). However, when my clients on the other subnet (l3) try to connect, the room discovery does not work.

I understand room discovery is based upon DLNA standards, and more precisely on ssdp. Normally UPnP/DLNA works across subnet/routers if some adequate (multicast) routing is setup (which is, as I have tested this with a simple dlna file server).

However in my case, (packet capture shows that thanks to multicast routing in place) the OhPlayer receives the ssdp discovery packets, but does not respond to them. See the network map attached.

Any comment/idea on how to make this work would be appreciated.

Thanks & Regards,

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)