Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Unable to play m4a and alac files
29-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Unable to play m4a and alac files
Hi. I hope someone can help. My collection features both m4a and alac files and I've tried using the Windows version of ohPlayer, using Linn's Kazzo as the control point. Whilst this setup doesn't have any issues in terms of the playback of mp3's and flac's, no sound is produced when I attempt to playback m4a or alac files. As I use MinimServer I've been able to put in place a workaround, getting it to transcode m4a or alac files into a wav format (alac:wav24, mp4:wav16), which works OK. However, I would much prefer not to use this. I would add that I had initially concluded that this issue was related to Kazzo and as such I raised this with Linn support, but the response I got was to post something about it on this forum!
Find all posts by this user
29-11-2017, 02:34 PM
RE: Unable to play m4a and alac files
(29-11-2017 11:37 AM)zigzag10 Wrote:  Hi. I hope someone can help. My collection features both m4a and alac files and I've tried using the Windows version of ohPlayer, using Linn's Kazzo as the control point. Whilst this setup doesn't have any issues in terms of the playback of mp3's and flac's, no sound is produced when I attempt to playback m4a or alac files. As I use MinimServer I've been able to put in place a workaround, getting it to transcode m4a or alac files into a wav format (alac:wav24, mp4:wav16), which works OK. However, I would much prefer not to use this. I would add that I had initially concluded that this issue was related to Kazzo and as such I raised this with Linn support, but the response I got was to post something about it on this forum!

I believe that the ohPlayer do not support AAC or ALAC formats. These use patented technologies so would have per-download royalties to pay. We'd struggle to cover this for a free player!

The ohPlayer (and underlying ohPipeline) source code includes everything necesary to support these formats so you could create your own build that includes AAC and ALAC support. (Strictly speaking, you should probably pay a license fee for the relevant patents at this point. I'm not sure whether the patent holders would thank you for the admin this entailed for them!) Your current approach of transcoding in Minimserver is probably best though. Unless this is causing you any problems, I'd suggest you stick with it.
Find all posts by this user