Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ohMediaPlayer / SoftPlayer
06-07-2011, 06:44 PM
RE: ohMediaPlayer / SoftPlayer
(06-07-2011 06:40 PM)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 01:57 PM)keith Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 01:18 PM)simoncn Wrote:  Can you say a bit more about what ohNet is? Will this be available as open source?

Does this help: http://openhome.org/wiki/OhNet-What

It's already available as open source.
http://openhome.org/wiki/Ohnet-How
This looks very interesting. Is there a mailing list or discussion forum that the developers use to discuss the work that they are doing?

Yes. It's one room up from this one. Click on the Net room in these very OpenHome forums.
Find all posts by this user
09-07-2011, 07:45 PM
(06-07-2011 01:18 PM)simoncn Wrote:  The BSD license provides more flexibility for people reusing the code, so it probably makes more sense to use this for a reference implementation.

Yes, but it doesn't ensure that improvements made to the library get contributed back to society. The LGPL allows proprietary applications to be built around the library, but stands a better chance of ensuring that the library itself doesn't fork in the wild between all the competing applications that use it.

I just saw this in the documentation for the ohNet device stack and control point stack:

Open source — OpenHome is committed to the continued open development of the UPnP protocol and provides the Control Point stack completely free and open under a BSD-style license.

It would seem a bit strange if some parts of OpenHome were licensed under BSD and others under LGPL.

Simon
09-07-2011, 08:33 PM
(09-07-2011 07:45 PM)simoncn Wrote:  
(06-07-2011 01:18 PM)simoncn Wrote:  The BSD license provides more flexibility for people reusing the code, so it probably makes more sense to use this for a reference implementation.

Yes, but it doesn't ensure that improvements made to the library get contributed back to society. The LGPL allows proprietary applications to be built around the library, but stands a better chance of ensuring that the library itself doesn't fork in the wild between all the competing applications that use it.

I just saw this in the documentation for the ohNet device stack and control point stack:

Open source — OpenHome is committed to the continued open development of the UPnP protocol and provides the Control Point stack completely free and open under a BSD-style license.

It would seem a bit strange if some parts of OpenHome were licensed under BSD and others under LGPL.

Simon

Not to me. The OpenHome is going to have many projects. Are you suggesting that they all need to be under the same license?

I'm quite open to licensing my code under the BSD. However, perhaps you can address the question at hand. What is it you don't like about the LGPL? What does it prevent you from doing that you wish to do?
10-07-2011, 11:21 AM
My concerns are primarily around the "all or nothing" effect of using LGPL. If I wanted to use some part of the ohMediaPlayer code (maybe only a very small portion of what's in ohMediaPlayer) as a starting point for some code that I'm writing, the LGPL license would force me to also put my own code under LGPL or GPL. This doesn't apply if I'm using ohMediaPlayer in its entirety, hence "all or nothing". As an example of the kind of thing I might want to do, this could be taking specific portions of the C++ code in ohMediaPlayer and creating a Java version of these portions. This Java code wouldn't be suitable for contributing back to ohMediaPlayer because ohMediaPlayer wouldn't have the necessary Java support infrastructure to be able to run it.
29-11-2012, 04:45 PM
I know this is an ancient thread... but I'd like to know if the ohMediaPlayer is in active development or not, and in case, which is the roadmap.

Thanks!
02-12-2012, 11:02 AM
ohMediaPlayer is not currently under development. We're currently reviewing its status; it'll be a few months before we decide whether to make further releases.
15-03-2013, 04:09 PM
Sorry for the post..

I realize the future of ohMediaPlayer is still under consideration, but I am thinking of using it on a Raspberry Pi, there has been some activity recently and there are some binaries produced that work on the Raspi, but I would like to make a couple of changes, at the moment the room name is hard coded and I would want to reduce some of the log messages.

At the moment I am trying to compile the source code, I am starting on Windows first because that is what I am more used to.

I am used to developing in C# and Java using VS or Eclipse and so it's a bit of a change trying to compile C++.

I have tried following various instructions but still haven't managed to compile ohMediaPlayer.

If possible can someone help with with instructions for a dummy on how to compile the code.

Thanks,

Pete.

My latest attempt failed with the error:

Quote:C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer>python waf build
Waf: Entering directory `C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer\build\win32'
[ 1/16] cxx: OpenHome\Store.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Store.cpp.0.o
[ 2/16] cxx: OpenHome\MurmurHash3.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\MurmurHash3.cpp.0.o
[ 3/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Product.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Product.cpp.1.o
[ 4/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Info.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Info.cpp.1.o
Store.cpp
MurmurHash3.cpp
Info.cpp
Product.cpp
[13/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Time.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Time.cpp.1.o
Time.cpp
[13/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Volume.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Volume.cpp.1.o
Volume.cpp
[13/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Playlist.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Playlist.cpp.1.o
Playlist.cpp
[13/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Player.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Player.cpp.1.o
Player.cpp
[13/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Standard.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Standard.cpp.1.o
Standard.cpp
[14/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\Source.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Source.cpp.1.o
[14/16] cxx: OpenHome\Media\SourcePlaylist.cpp -> build\win32\OpenHome\Media\SourcePlaylist.cpp.1.o
Source.cpp
SourcePlaylist.cpp
[14/16] cxx: Renderers\Vlc\main.cpp -> build\win32\Renderers\Vlc\main.cpp.2.o
main.cpp
[14/16] cxx: Renderers\Vlc\Vlc.cpp -> build\win32\Renderers\Vlc\Vlc.cpp.2.o
Vlc.cpp
[14/16] cxxstlib: build\win32\OpenHome\Store.cpp.0.o build\win32\OpenHome\MurmurHash3.cpp.0.o -> build\win32\libohPersist.lib
[15/16] cxxstlib: build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Product.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Info.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Time.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Volume.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenH
ome\Media\Playlist.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Player.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Standard.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\Source.cpp.1.o build\win32\OpenHome\Media\SourcePlaylist.cpp
.1.o -> build\win32\libohMedia.lib
[16/16] cxxprogram: build\win32\Renderers\Vlc\main.cpp.2.o build\win32\Renderers\Vlc\Vlc.cpp.2.o -> build\win32\ohMediaPlayerVlc.exe build\win32\ohMediaPlayerVlc.exe.manifest build\win32\ohMediaPlayer
Vlc.pdb
Creating library C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer\build\win32\ohMediaPlayerVlc.lib and object C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer\build\win32\ohMediaPlayerVlc.exp
libohNetCore.lib(Os.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SymInitialize@12 referenced in function _OsCreate
libohNetCore.lib(Os.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SymCleanup@4 referenced in function _OsDestroy
C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer\build\win32\ohMediaPlayerVlc.exe : fatal error LNK1120: 2 unresolved externals
Waf: Leaving directory `C:\temp\TOH\ohMediaPlayer\build\win32'
Build failed
-> task failed (exit status 1120):
{task 39591216: cxxprogram main.cpp.2.o,Vlc.cpp.2.o -> ohMediaPlayerVlc.exe,ohMediaPlayerVlc.exe.manifest,ohMediaPlayerVlc.pdb}
['c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\BIN\\LINK.exe', 'Renderers\\Vlc\\main.cpp.2.o', 'Renderers\\Vlc\\Vlc.cpp.2.o', '/OUT:', 'C:\\temp\\TOH\\ohMediaPlayer\\build\\win32\\ohMedi
aPlayerVlc.exe', '/LIBPATH:.', 'libohMedia.lib', 'libohPersist.lib', 'libohNetCore.lib', 'libohNetDevices.lib', 'libTestFramework.lib', '/LIBPATH:c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\
\VC\\LIB;c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\ATLMFC\\LIB;c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v7.0A\\lib;', '/LIBPATH:c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Stud
io 10.0\\VC\\LIB', '/LIBPATH:c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio 10.0\\VC\\ATLMFC\\LIB', '/LIBPATH:c:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft SDKs\\Windows\\v7.0A\\lib', '/LIBPATH:C:\\temp\\TOH\\
ohNet\\Build\\Obj\\Windows\\Debug', '/LIBPATH:C:\\temp\\TOH\\ohMediaPlayer\\Renderers\\Vlc', 'Ws2_32.lib', 'Iphlpapi.lib', 'libvlc.lib', '/NOLOGO', '/MANIFEST', '/debug']
15-03-2013, 10:52 PM
(15-03-2013 04:09 PM)PeteManchester Wrote:  I realize the future of ohMediaPlayer is still under consideration, but I am thinking of using it on a Raspberry Pi, there has been some activity recently and there are some binaries produced that work on the Raspi, but I would like to make a couple of changes, at the moment the room name is hard coded and I would want to reduce some of the log messages.

At the moment I am trying to compile the source code, I am starting on Windows first because that is what I am more used to.

I am used to developing in C# and Java using VS or Eclipse and so it's a bit of a change trying to compile C++.

I have tried following various instructions but still haven't managed to compile ohMediaPlayer.

If possible can someone help with with instructions for a dummy on how to compile the code.

The key output is

libohNetCore.lib(Os.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SymInitialize@12 referenced in function _OsCreate
libohNetCore.lib(Os.obj) : error LNK2019: unresolved external symbol __imp__SymCleanup@4 referenced in function _OsDestroy

SymInitialize and SymCleanup are provided by Dbghelp.dll. Can you try adding Dbghelp.lib to the libraries you link to on Windows? I don't have the ohMediaPlayer source to hand but there should be a list of link commands somewhere in its wscript file. Search for Ws2_32.lib or Iphlpapi.lib if you get stuck and add Dbghelp.lib beside them.
16-03-2013, 08:18 AM
(15-03-2013 10:52 PM)simonc Wrote:  The key output is

SymInitialize and SymCleanup are provided by Dbghelp.dll. Can you try adding Dbghelp.lib to the libraries you link to on Windows? I don't have the ohMediaPlayer source to hand but there should be a list of link commands somewhere in its wscript file. Search for Ws2_32.lib or Iphlpapi.lib if you get stuck and add Dbghelp.lib beside them.

Thanks for the quick reply Simon.

That worked Wink
07-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Hi,
From the looks of this wiki page
http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhMediaPlayer
it looks like OhMediaPlayer is being developed again?
Where can you download the binaries mentioned at the end?
Thanks.