Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
ohMediaPlayer / SoftPlayer
07-08-2013, 03:24 PM
RE: ohMediaPlayer / SoftPlayer
(07-08-2013 10:17 AM)Latka Wrote:  From the looks of this wiki page
http://www.openhome.org/wiki/OhMediaPlayer
it looks like OhMediaPlayer is being developed again?
Where can you download the binaries mentioned at the end?

Our docs are a bit ahead of our implementation here. We don't have any desktop builds available just yet.

I'll post an update here when builds are available.
Find all posts by this user
08-08-2013, 05:07 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I'm looking forward to the builds being available. Cheers.
10-08-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm working on an RPi port that is a complete refactor/rewrite of the code available on github , the windows build works quite well…

Br,
Peter
21-10-2013, 07:49 PM
(07-08-2013 03:24 PM)simonc Wrote:  Our docs are a bit ahead of our implementation here. We don't have any desktop builds available just yet.

I'll post an update here when builds are available.

It's been quite some time (more than two months) since this post. Is there any outlook for when these builds might be available?
22-10-2013, 10:56 AM
In short, there is no plan for when, or if to release code or builds. There won't be any releases this year.

In more detail, we have nearly completed core functionality but have not written drivers for desktop platforms. We also haven't decided what we'd do about codecs which have a per-unit license. (e.g. Do we release without these codecs (making the radio service much less useful)? Do we charge for downloads? Do we do large amounts of per-platform work trying to find then hook into suitably licensed codecs already installed).

We're currently focused on some of the additional functionality required for embedded deployments. We plan to continue this work for the rest of the year. We'll review our task list, considering the relative priorities of embedded vs desktop work in the new year.
22-10-2013, 01:26 PM (This post was last modified: 22-10-2013 01:56 PM by simoncn.)
(22-10-2013 10:56 AM)simonc Wrote:  In short, there is no plan for when, or if to release code or builds. There won't be any releases this year.

In more detail, we have nearly completed core functionality but have not written drivers for desktop platforms. We also haven't decided what we'd do about codecs which have a per-unit license. (e.g. Do we release without these codecs (making the radio service much less useful)? Do we charge for downloads? Do we do large amounts of per-platform work trying to find then hook into suitably licensed codecs already installed).

We're currently focused on some of the additional functionality required for embedded deployments. We plan to continue this work for the rest of the year. We'll review our task list, considering the relative priorities of embedded vs desktop work in the new year.

Thanks very much for sharing this information.

As someone who is producing code that runs on a wide variety of platforms (both desktop and embedded), I understand how tricky some of these issues are.

Perhaps it would make sense to start by focusing on a small number of popular platforms that have the important codecs already available. For example, FFmpeg/Libav is available for Linux (including many embedded Linux systems) and contains a good selection of codecs. I think the codec situation on Android is quite good as well.